The Vikings remain scheduled to host the Falcons on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium after Atlanta closed its facilities Thursday because of a new positive test for COVID-19.
The Falcons are expected to reopen facilities Friday after an assistant coach tested positive, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
While the Vikings held practice Thursday at TCO Performance Center in Eagan, the NFL's chief medical officer, Dr. Allen Sills, said the decisions about closing team facilities and postponing games are based on how the league's medical experts gauge the risk of further transmission on a "case-by-case basis."
The Falcons, as of Thursday, have two positive tests this week — the unidentified coach and defensive tackle Marlon Davidson. But that doesn't rise to the level of the NFL keeping Atlanta's facilities closed beyond Thursday.
The NFL already has made calls both ways. The Patriots-Broncos game was postponed last week after New England shut its facility down for a second time Sunday morning, and the game already had been pushed to Monday night.
Meanwhile, the Titans, who have had more than 20 players and staff members test positive since winning in Minnesota on Sept. 27, played Tuesday night against Buffalo despite closing their facility the previous Sunday after another coach tested positive.
"That reflects the fact every one of these cases is different," Sills said Thursday on a conference call. "We have to judge the merits of what's going on based on the totality of the information we have — test results, the historical data, symptom reporting, our contact tracing interviews, video review inside the club. But what we're really trying to determine is, what do we think is the risk of ongoing transmission?"
Sills reiterated there has been "no evidence of on-field transmission from football-related activities," with the Vikings being the first major case study after having no positive cases from playing the Titans.