MONTREAL — As speculation grows about the status of Russian NHLers and their ability to return for next season, Commissioner Gary Bettman said the league probably doesn't have the "full story" on players' relationship with the Russian government.
"We're going to have to respect the process as to what goes on," Bettman said Thursday at Bell Centre in Montreal before the draft.
Uncertainty, in particular, has swirled around the Wild's Kirill Kaprizov at a time when the war in Ukraine continues.
Kaprizov's whereabouts were speculated about after a report out of Russia said the star forward returned to the United States in the aftermath of Flyers prospect Ivan Fedotov getting taken to a military base in Russia because his name was linked to fraudulent military identification.
Wild General Manager Bill Guerin denied that report earlier in the week, telling reporters Kaprizov was in Russia with friends and family and "doing fine." On Thursday, Guerin had no new information on Kaprizov and Bettman said it probably wasn't a good idea for the NHL or its teams to get involved in the politics of what's happening in Russia.
"The Russian players that still reside in Russia need to make sure they're making the best possible decisions for themselves and their families," Bettman said.
There were 56 Russian players in the NHL this season.
On the mend
The Wild might not be at full strength when the season starts.