The heat is on and the ice maze is off in Eagan, where warm weather forced the cancellation of the 2024 Minnesota Ice Festival.
Minnesota Ice CEO Robbie Harrell said continued higher-than-average temperatures prompted him to stop construction of what was to be an outdoor extravaganza and attempted Guinness World Record-setting ice maze.
"We're going all in; This is the Minnesota Ice Festival," an excited Harrell said in November.
Alas, safety concerns caused Harrell to pull the plug, he said in a statement late Wednesday.
"As the weather warms, it's important for anyone attending events featuring large ice or snow structures to exercise extreme caution," he said. "Warmer temperatures can affect the stability of these structures, potentially making them hazardous."
The ice had already been delivered to Viking Lakes in Eagan, the headquarters of the Minnesota Vikings. The plan was to build an 18,000-square-foot maze and festival in the open-air TCO Stadium. With a planned opening date of Jan. 5, the aim was to break the 2010 record set by Buffalo, N.Y., of just under 13,000 square feet.
"We were really looking forward to celebrating the beautiful Minnesota winter with everyone, but the weather hasn't cooperated, and we won't be able to deliver the experience we had hoped for," Harrell said.
Although the big maze is off for now, Harrell said the ice has been delivered and is being kept on, well, ice, so it won't melt. He's hopeful the weather will cool down enough for a celebration later this winter.