Keith Ellison and Mike Freeman go back nearly three decades — sparring in courtrooms, praising each other at inaugural ceremonies and examining together how police killings are handled in Minnesota.
Now, two of the state's biggest legal personalities are again reunited to confront a legal quagmire that could either gild or tarnish their careers: the prosecution of four former Minneapolis police officers involved in the May 25 killing of George Floyd.
For Ellison, the state's first black and Muslim attorney general, it has also required defending a partnership with a white male prosecutor who lost the trust of many people of color.
"I would hope that if people want us to do something that really has not been done yet, which is to convict a police officer of second-degree murder, that people would not try to prescribe how I do it and who I do it with," Ellison said in an interview last week. "We're trying to come up with justice for George Floyd, and for anyone to say you've got to do it this way and only with these people seems to me kind of unfair."
Freeman declined to comment for this article. He has not spoken publicly since May 31, when Ellison took the lead in prosecuting former Minneapolis police officers Derek Chauvin, J. Alexander Kueng, Tou Thao and Thomas Lane. Instead, the former two-time gubernatorial candidate and longtime Hennepin County prosecutor has been silent. Ellison, meanwhile, has become the public face of the prosecution, participating in a battery of national news interviews since the case began.
At the outset, theirs has been a union of necessity: Freeman leads the state's biggest criminal prosecution unit and last year won the only murder conviction against a Minnesota police officer: Mohamed Noor, who fatally shot Justine Ruszczyk Damond in Minneapolis three years ago.
Ellison, who has a deep history in civil rights activism, enjoys a trust from Minnesota's black community that Freeman cannot claim.
"They both need each other and, quite frankly, I think that justice requires it in the context of their partnership and working this case together," said Ramsey County Attorney John Choi, who was the first to charge a Minnesota officer in the death of a civilian when he unsuccessfully prosecuted former St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez in the 2016 killing of Philando Castile in Falcon Heights.