In a signal that their bid to land a big league soccer team is serious, the St. Paul City Council, the city's Port Authority and the Metropolitan Council each will vote Wednesday on an agreement formalizing talks aimed at leasing a vacant site in the Midway for a soccer stadium.
Although the Port Authority and the Met Council have been conducting such talks for several weeks, the joint powers agreement expected to be approved next week will provide "a framework" for ongoing communication and negotiations among the parties, officials said Friday.
The Star Tribune reported last month that St. Paul is the choice of Minnesota United FC owners as the new home for a stadium. Since then, MLS Commissioner Don Garber has toured the site and said he was "impressed" with its central location, proximity to transit and development potential.
Eric Durkee, spokesman for Minnesota United FC, said Friday that team officials were "pleased to see a further demonstration of St. Paul's commitment in helping to ensure that Major League Soccer comes to Minnesota."
"We want them to know, and the league to know, that we're serious about this," Port Authority spokesman Tom Collins said.
The Port Authority, an independent agency that often works with the city on development projects, is negotiating with the Met Council on the city's behalf because of its experience with leases.
The agreement itself provides only a few details on what negotiators are considering for the vacant 10-acre site, a former bus storage area at Snelling Avenue and Interstate 94.
It indicates that the city would lease the site from the Met Council, which would continue to own the land. The team, owned by Bill McGuire and a group of investors, would deed the stadium to the city once it finished building it.