Sunny and with the temperature pushing 50 degrees, Thursday was a perfect early-spring day for golf in Minnesota, where with very few exceptions a ball hasn't been struck since Gov. Tim Walz last week ordered closed "places of public accommodation," a group that includes golf clubs and country clubs.
But golfers played Thursday at Stonebrooke Golf Club in Shakopee, which remained open even when the vast majority of local courses have closed or haven't opened yet because of the coronavirus pandemic and the governor's executive orders intended to protect Minnesotans from it.
More than 60 vehicles were parked there at midday and as many as 200 golfers throughout the day walked and carried or pushed their bags with several distancing safety measures in place. Golfers did the same busily not far down the road at CreeksBend near New Prague.
The state's golf organizations — Minnesota PGA, Minnesota Golf Association, club managers, superintendents, course owners — united for a "One Voice" campaign that lobbied the Capitol to seek updates on how it should proceed and inform government officials on golf's many benefits, health and otherwise, even in these strange social-distancing times.
It also has sought clarification on what Walz's emergency orders mean to an alarmed golf industry concerned about its future, but also realistic about its place in unprecedented health and economic crises that some on the infection front lines call apocalyptic.
Walz's new "stay-at-home" order that starts Friday night will keep courses closed at least through April 10. Last week's 20-4 order that included golf clubs and country clubs has been extended to May 1. The closures are intended to "flatten the curve" of the spread of coronavirus, or as Walz said, to "break the chain of infections and buy us some time."
"We want to get people playing as much as anybody, but we just have to think about this for a second," Oak Marsh Golf Course GM/Director of Golf Steve Whillock said. "I know golfers don't get it. I had a guy call and had no idea what was going on."
Oak Marsh, in Oakdale, closed last week after five early, busy days that Whillock said left it "poised for the best year of all time." He called the decision "the right thing to do." Executive-order violations can be punished with as much as a $1,000 fine or 90 days' imprisonment as well.