The record-setting $27 million civil settlement between Minneapolis and the family of George Floyd weighed heavily Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court, bogging down attempts to seat jurors to hear the murder and manslaughter case against former police officer Derek Chauvin.
None of the seven potential jurors questioned Tuesday were seated. Judge Peter Cahill struck five of the candidates for bias or because they said serving would create a hardship, and defense attorney Eric Nelson used his strikes on the other two. Nelson has used 11 of his 15 strikes. Nine jurors have been seated with 14 needed for trial, including two alternates. Prosecutors have five strikes remaining.
Cahill again dealt with the pretrial fallout from the settlement. The judge said he would recall the seven jurors seated before Friday's announcement to question them Wednesday about their knowledge of last week's settlement. He is also expected to rule on defense requests to either move the trial or delay opening statements scheduled for March 29. The prosecution opposes both.
Cahill and Nelson expressed exasperation over city leaders' decision to announce the settlement just blocks from the courthouse where they are trying to seat the jury.
Nelson said his client's right to a fair trial is at risk. "You have elected officials — the governor, the mayor — making incredibly prejudicial statements about my client," he said.
Cahill denied Nelson's request for more defense strikes of prospective jurors but was particularly irked by an unnamed city official's assertion to the Washington Post that Hennepin County Chief Judge Toddrick Barnette said the announcement of the settlement could proceed.
In court, Cahill called that "not an accurate statement" and noted the settlement came out of a federal claim and didn't involve state courts.
"As I recall in my discussions with Judge Barnette, the answer was 'We can't tell you what to do,' " Cahill said, adding that the state courts have no jurisdiction over federal litigation or settlements.