The naming Thursday of 32 priests accused of child sex abuse in the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese will not end the pressure on the Catholic Church in Minnesota.
More than twice that number who served in other dioceses across the state and have been similarly accused have yet to be publicly named. And victims' advocates charge that the archdiocese's list was incomplete.
"Victims are already asking, 'Why isn't the cleric who hurt me on the newly disclosed list?' " said David Clohessy, national director of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP).
Thursday's disclosure was an unprecedented step that had been tenaciously resisted by the archdiocese for years. It took place only after a judge presiding over an abuse case ordered that the list be made public. For some victims and church members, the moment was cathartic, but more wrenching disclosures are coming.
Another list is expected to go public this week, when the Diocese of Winona said it will unseal at least 13 names of accused priests, under the same Ramsey County Court order that required the Twin Cities archdiocese to act.
Lawsuits against the Duluth and New Ulm dioceses demanding that their lists be unsealed have scheduled court dates next month. A case against the Diocese of Crookston awaits a judge's ruling.
"There is increased pressure, and increased permission, for other bishops to follow what has happened here," said Mike Finnegan, an attorney at Anderson Advocates, the St. Paul firm handling abuse cases.
Added Clohessy: "Four or five other judges will be confronting the same choice. It puts more pressure on more judges and bishops."