UnitedHealth Group collected far more than any other Medicare health insurer in risk-adjustment payments in 2017 that were based on questionable billing practices, a federal agency disclosed Tuesday.
The finding puts the Minnetonka-based health care giant at the center of a controversy over whether health insurers use data from patient chart reviews and health risk assessments in ways that grant them improper payments from the federal Medicare program.
Investigators at the Office of Inspector General (OIG) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services have said they're concerned that insurers with Medicare Advantage health plans might be using the risk assessments, in particular, to game the system.
Whistleblower lawsuits have alleged that UnitedHealth Group and others have wrongly used data from chart reviews to boost Medicare payments — an industry-wide concern also raised previously by OIG.
In September, an OIG report found 162 Medicare Advantage health insurers collectively received $9.2 billion in risk-adjustment payments based on two questionable methods companies use to document the health status of enrollees.
Of all the insurers, investigators found that one company stood out from the rest — a company that covered 22% of all beneficiaries enrolled in the health plans at the time, yet received a disproportionately high $3.7 billion, or 40% of the total payments based on these methods.
OIG did not identify the insurance company in its September report, but named UnitedHealth Group on Tuesday in response to a data request from the Star Tribune.
In a statement, UnitedHealth Group said the report was "based on old data and is inaccurate and misleading — a disservice to seniors and an attack on the [federal government's] payment system."