As visitors to Scream Town entered the popular Halloween haunt Friday night, they were greeted by a sign that read, "All are welcomed here."
One day after Carver County officials shut down the Chaska site after its owner made a disparaging comment about Somali-Americans, it reopened, welcoming hundreds of customers.
The reversal came after Scream Town agreed to hire private security guards, since the county has voided its contract for security, traffic and crowd control. The Sheriff's Office will continue to provide routine patrols and 911 response.
As customers lined up to enter the attraction, Scream Town owner Matt Dunn stood outside, shaking hands. Three security guards stood nearby.
Some customers expressed relief that an agreement had been reached so quickly and that Dunn's apology was so swiftly accepted by the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-MN).
"I'm glad he apologized," said Pachia Vue, who is from Wisconsin. "You never know if people mean it. I think he was speaking out of anger after what happened with the teens. I've done it [spoken in anger] before."
Tina Wright of Wyoming, Minn., who said she has been visiting the attraction for nine years, said, "I know why people are upset, and I know [Dunn] shouldn't have said that."
But "they put up extra signs that welcome everyone and he's going over and beyond to backtrack what he said," she said.