WASHINGTON – The Senate's top Republican said Wednesday he's holding up the confirmation process for President Joe Biden's nominee as Minnesota's next U.S. attorney.
Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell wrote to Andrew Luger this week detailing his concerns over last month's sentencing of 26-year-old Montez Lee Jr., who was given a sentence 10 years below the maximum for setting a deadly Lake Street fire during the 2020 unrest that followed George Floyd's killing by a Minneapolis police officer.
Luger, who previously served as U.S. attorney for Minnesota under Democratic President Barack Obama, did not have a role in the case.
"I just had to place a hold on a nominee to be U.S. attorney for Minnesota because the person recently acting in that job recommended an unusually soft sentence below the maximum guideline to a convicted fatal arsonist because the arsonist was taking part in a far-left political riot at the time," McConnell said during a speech on the Senate floor, referring to the prosecution team in the Lee case.
"I'll need written assurances the nominee to succeed this person will not continue this jaw-dropping practice and lessen criminals' sentences so long as the political violence they commit happens to be left-wing."
Democrats narrowly control the Senate, and Luger has the support of Minnesota's two Democratic senators. But McConnell's move poses a new challenge in the attempt to return Luger to his former post.
The hold doesn't block Democrats from confirming Luger, but it may mean the party has to spend time on the floor voting on the confirmation rather than moving the nomination quickly through unanimous consent.
In a response obtained by the Star Tribune on Wednesday, Luger wrote back to McConnell and noted he "was not involved in the decision making regarding the matter" and couldn't comment on Lee's sentencing.