The chairman of the Senate Education Committee questioned Wednesday whether the Minnesota Department of Education did enough soon enough to stop possible fraud from groups seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in government reimbursement for a program to feed needy children.
During a nearly two-hour hearing at the Capitol, Sen. Roger Chamberlain, R-Lino Lakes, said the department balked at taking tougher action as far back as 2018, when the St. Anthony nonprofit Feeding Our Future first applied to be sponsor in the meals program.
Chamberlain said the department approved Feeding Our Future's application even though the nonprofit had "no financial history" and another sponsor raised concerns about its "character and integrity."
"Obviously, something failed, correct?" asked Chamberlain, the assistant majority leader in the Senate.
Wednesday's hearing was the third one this month, questioning the state agency. News first surfaced in January about the FBI's investigation into Feeding Our Future and a broader "large-scale scheme" to defraud the government.
On Wednesday, Education Department officials defended their oversight of the meals program, noting they brought their concerns about Feeding Our Future to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) when the organization and its subcontractors' reimbursement claims skyrocketed in 2020. The meals program is funded and overseen by the USDA and administered by the Education Department.
"We raised concerns about the unexplained growth in the summer [of 2020] with USDA and we escalated those concerns to the Office of the Inspector General," said Daron Korte, the department's assistant commissioner who oversees the nutrition programs.
Korte said the department had no evidence of criminal fraud until the FBI unsealed search warrants in January alleging that Feeding Our Future and some of its prime contractors stole at least $48 million from the meals program. So far, a federal grand jury hasn't charged anyone with a crime related to the case, and Feeding Our Future Executive Director Aimee Bock has denied any wrongdoing.