Funding for dozens of agencies that serve Minnesota's domestic abuse and sexual assault victims could be cut off if the federal shutdown lasts beyond next Friday.
Leaders for advocacy groups across the state are scrambling to plan for how to keep their staff and services intact should that happen. Layoffs and furloughs could be a possibility.
"It would devastate us," said Kristen Houlton Shaw, executive director of the Sexual Violence Center in Minneapolis. "It means I wouldn't be able to pay my staff. I don't know how we would continue."
"We would," she quickly added. "But I don't know how that happens."
Advocacy groups such as the SVC get the lion's share of their funding through the federal Crime Victims Fund, which is financed by fines paid by convicted offenders. That fund paid out $56 million to Minnesota agencies last year.
The federal Office for Victims of Crime, which manages the fund, has said it will stop reimbursements on Jan. 18 if the shutdown continues.
If that happens, Gov. Tim Walz could authorize the use of state dollars, said Myron Frans, Minnesota's Management and Budget commissioner.
Frans said Walz has asked his office to come up with a list of groups that he would recommend should receive the cash-flow dollars, and Frans said advocacy groups would be on that list.