Two residents of a major south Minneapolis homeless encampment scheduled to close this week have filed a federal lawsuit against Mayor Jacob Frey in hopes of blocking the city's plans.
Cheryl Sagataw, a member of the Potawatomi Nation who has been homeless for about nine months, and DeAnthony Barnes, who has been in and out of housing since 2011, sued the mayor on behalf of themselves and other residents of the encampment known as Camp Nenookaasi.
Sagataw and Barnes claim they had been pushed from one encampment to another before moving into Camp Nenookaasi, at E. 23rd Street and 13th Ave. S., this summer. They said they found safety and help with drug treatment and applying for permanent housing there, and that dismantling the camp on Thursday would leave them without shelter in the Minnesota winter. More than 100 people currently live in the encampment.
The suit argues destroying encampment residents' property without due process would violate the Fourth and 14th amendments of the U.S. Constitution, and that preventing them from camping without providing reasonable alternative shelter would violate the Eighth Amendment's prohibition on cruel and unusual punishment.
The city of Minneapolis indicated Tuesday that it intends to continue with its planned Thursday closure of the camp. That timeline was announced last week, with city officials pointing to health and safety concerns. An earlier planned closure was delayed after a resident was shot to death inside the encampment in mid-December.
In a statement, city spokesperson Sarah McKenzie said the city has already postponed Camp Nenookaasi's closure twice to allow residents continued contact with outreach workers. The Salvation Army and Rescue Now plans to add 90 beds to the county's shelter system this week, she said.
"All of our encampment members deserve safe and dignified housing. An encampment — especially in winter — does not provide that," McKenzie said. "Additionally, the City must address the ongoing public health and safety issues, like a recent homicide at the encampment."
In recent weeks, reservations for the county's emergency shelter beds have filled up quickly each morning, reflecting more demand than space.