St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter is doubling down on efforts to reimagine the city's emergency response system with a new grant program and other initiatives funded by the federal American Rescue Plan.
Flanked by Democratic U.S. Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith outside the Frogtown Community Center on Friday morning, Carter announced that the city would direct $4 million of its federal pandemic aid to a soon-to-form city board that will distribute grants to grassroots organizations working to prevent violence.
City officials also highlighted additional safety-focused plans to use American Rescue Plan dollars: $1.5 million for St. Paul Public Libraries to improve its services and safety protocols; $1.5 million for expanded youth programming at St. Paul parks and recreation centers; $2 million to help hire police officers; and $1 million for traffic safety efforts.
"For decades, we have mistaken emergency response as an entire, complete public safety system," Carter said. "We know that a complex, comprehensive public safety strategy also requires coordinated and proactive investments and interventions to reduce the likelihood that something dangerous happens in the first place."
Since becoming mayor in 2018, Carter has made similar speeches advocating for what he calls a "community first" approach to public safety, encouraging the dedication of more city time and resources to address the root causes of crime.
Early in his first term, Carter pitched and budgeted for a suite of programs aimed at curbing gun violence. But the pandemic stalled some of those efforts, simultaneously fueling an increase in violent crime in St. Paul and many other U.S. cities.
Interim Police Chief Jeremy Ellison said reducing gun violence is the department's top priority, as trends of the last few years have continued into 2022. A record 38 homicides happened in St. Paul last year, and this year the city has already recorded 22.
As of July 7, St. Paul police received 1,241 reports of shots fired in 2022, and gunfire struck 136 people since the start of the year. According to the department, those figures are up from the city's counts at the same time last year — 1,186 reports of shots fired and 108 people struck.