Over the span of five years, the Staples-Motley Cardinals football team lost 39 straight games, one of the longest streaks in the state. When they finally won in August 2015, the school left the scoreboard lights on all weekend to celebrate, and they were featured on the front page of this newspaper.
The team, under its new coach Travis VanOverbeke, won six games and lost four that year and made the playoffs. They followed up last year with a 5-5 record, even though their coach said he was under "investigation" during the season for an undisclosed offense.
In April the school principal and district superintendent approved VanOverbeke's contract for next year.
But at a subsequent meeting, the board nullified the contract with a 3-3 vote.
Now the coach who rebuilt the football program is in the odd position of losing that job but remaining as athletic director. Minutes after the board vote, the district superintendent, Mary Klamm, said she would resign at the end of the school year. Five coaches of the 7th-12th grade football teams also said they were quitting.
The dispute over the coach has upended the entire district, and it's a situation no one can or will discuss.
Some now think the football program faces the possibility of shutting down, dimming the Friday night lights that had brought fans back into town, and threatening other programs that feed off football.
I graduated from what was Staples High School and I played football for the Cardinals. I know how important sports are in a small town with limited outlets for entertainment.