A trio of child care centers licensed to serve more than a hundred children in Minneapolis, St. Paul and Apple Valley were shut down this week after state regulators discovered chronic safety violations and a scheme to falsify training records.
State investigators found more than 70 licensing violations at the three facilities operated by Deqo Family Centers. The violations included failure to follow safe sleep rules, failure to properly supervise children and failure to employ qualified staff. The company also failed to conduct criminal background checks on some employees and falsified records related to first aid and CPR training for employees.
The state on Tuesday issued a revocation order that will formally take effect July 8 unless the facilities appeal. The revocation order cited falsification of records and misleading information given to the state as troubling because they would make it "impossible" for regulators to rely on future assurances that the operator was following state licensing rules.
"They were out of compliance in some of the most serious areas of the regulations," said Department of Human Services Inspector General Jerry Kerber.
"We really had no choice but take this action."
Served Somali community
The company, which served many families in the Somali community, had been operating its Minneapolis location since December 2010 and its St. Paul center since September 2011, according to state records.
The Apple Valley location was licensed in January and had a capacity to care for 100 children, state records show.
A woman who answered the phone at the Apple Valley location on Friday would not offer her name and said the owner, Yasmin Ali, was unavailable. Efforts to reach Ali by e-mail and phone were unsuccessful.