NEW YORK — Steve Bannon's trial on charges that he duped donors who gave money to build a wall along the U.S. southern border will start a week later than scheduled, a judge said Wednesday, after the conservative rabble-rouser hired new lawyers to pursue an aggressive defense strategy.
Bannon, a political strategist and longtime ally of President Donald Trump, had been scheduled to stand trial Feb. 25 in the ''We Build the Wall'' case in state court in New York. It will now start March 4, Judge April Newbauer said.
Newbauer agreed to the delay after summoning Bannon to court to quiz him about his decision to shake up his legal team. She rejected new defense lawyer Arthur Aidala's request for a month-long postponement.
''I've been smeared by a political prosecution — persecution — for years, and I need someone who's a little more aggressive,'' Bannon told the judge during a brief hearing in Manhattan. ''I need every tool in the tool box.''
''Well, every tool in the tool box does not include delaying the trial,'' Newbauer said.
Aidala said Bannon hired him and his firm — including former prosecutor John Esposito and retired Judge Barry Kamins — as attack dogs who are on board with his plan to portray the case to jurors as a selective and malicious prosecution.
Bannon said he started shopping for new lawyers after he was "shocked" by Newbauer's ruling in November that prosecutors could show jurors certain evidence, including an email they say shows Bannon was concerned the fundraising effort was ''a scam.''
Aidala, a prominent New York City defense lawyer, told the judge that Bannon approached him about representation in December and, after initially declining, said he agreed to do so when his schedule freed up.