UnitedHealth Group CEO Stephen Hemsley was more involved in the handling of backdated stock options than previously revealed, according to new documents filed in a shareholder lawsuit that is moving toward a fall trial.
Despite two company-ordered investigations that largely exonerated Hemsley from the backdating scandal, the latest filing in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis attempts to paint a different portrait of Hemsley and the corporate practice of providing top executives with favorably priced option grants.
"Hemsley personally offered backdated options to new hires, was required to approve all grants in excess of 5,000 shares [and] approved backdated mass grants," asserts the brief in the lawsuit that has the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) as lead plaintiff.
The company denies the assertions, noting that Hemsley was cleared from involvement by independent organizations paid for by the UnitedHealth board to examine the practice of awarding options at a hand-picked low price to maximize value as UnitedHealth's stock rose.
"Assertions by plaintiffs who are suing us do not change these conclusions," UnitedHealth said in a statement to the Star Tribune. "Mr. Hemsley has been credited with an extraordinary job of leading UnitedHealth in the last 18 months to one of the best corporate governance records in the country."
The description of Hemsley's purported role in the backdating process is contained in a motion by CalPERS and other shareholders opposing UnitedHealth's attempt to get their lawsuit dismissed. UnitedHealth asserts that shareholders did not suffer losses as a result of the stock option revelations.
"When the issue of options backdating was disclosed, the market treated it with indifference and there was no abnormal movement in United's stock," the company says in its dismissal filing.
A hearing is scheduled for June 3 before U.S. District Judge James Rosenbaum.