Traffic at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport was occasionally brisk Wednesday as travelers hurried to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family — despite warnings from health officials to stay home as the deadly COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread.
"I did go through a period where I wondered if I should travel or not, and I just came to peace with it," said April Fenn of Victoria, who was headed to Cleveland to visit family.
More than 50 million travelers were expected to take to the air, road and rails this Thanksgiving holiday, according to AAA.
This weekend, footage of packed airport terminals across the country — widely shared on social media — shocked some but caused others to shrug. MSP has initiated several safety measures, including a requirement that passengers wear masks.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) nationally screened nearly 4 million passengers between Saturday and Tuesday, the highest level since last spring but far less than last year. The federal agency doesn't release local data.
Earlier this month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advised those traveling for Thanksgiving to stay home instead as a way of mitigating the disease's spread.
"Travel may increase your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19," the CDC said in an updated advisory this week. "Postponing travel and staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others this year."
Gov. Tim Walz last week ordered a four-week shutdown of bars, restaurants, entertainment venues and fitness clubs in Minnesota to slow the spread of the virus, which has caused nearly 3,400 deaths across the state and sickened some 289,000 others. Walz and health officials urged Minnesotans to dial back this year's Thanksgiving festivities.