Dangerous Man Brewing Co., one of the earliest innovators in Minnesota's craft beer boom of the past decade, has announced it is closing its northeast Minneapolis taproom Oct. 21.
The announcement on social media brought a "wide range of emotions" for its owners, Sarah Bonvallet and Rob Miller.
"We opened our doors in 2013 with a vision to make great craft beer, create a space for friends and families to gather, and contribute to the betterment of our neighborhood. Over the years, we have been humbled by the overwhelming support and loyalty from our patrons, who have become more than customers; you are part of our extended family," they wrote in the post.
Dangerous Man has anchored the corner of 2nd Street and 13th Avenue NE. in Minneapolis for the past decade. The brewery rented its space, and the building recently sold to new owners. An announcement about the new ownership will be made next week, Bonvallet said.
When the couple launched the microbrewery, they were among the first wave of small, independent beer entrepreneurs establishing taprooms in the Twin Cities following Surly's 2011 fight to change Minnesota liquor laws to allow brewers to sell pints on site.
"We were part of it from the very beginning," Bonvallet said in an interview. "We dove in 100% for the last 10 years and gave it our all."
Taprooms proliferated in the Twin Cities since then, saturating a market that has started to see more high-profile closures, from smaller operations such as Able Seedhouse + Brewery to the state's oldest brewpub, Rock Bottom Brewery, both of which closed last year.
Troubles for breweries were exacerbated by the pandemic. "COVID was hard. We've been climbing out of that hole ever since," Bonvallet said.