Tensions over when and how to safely reopen places of worship intensified Friday, with President Donald Trump urging the nation's governors to let religious leaders open their doors immediately.
The Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis had already said it plans to reopen Tuesday at one-third capacity, despite Gov. Tim Walz's limits on group gatherings. Catholic leaders and Walz met Friday but made no announcement.
Trump threatened Friday to override any governors who fail to immediately open houses of worship, although the White House didn't cite any law giving him the right to do so. Minnesota churches, synagogues, temples and mosques have been closed since March 18, following Walz's stay-home order.
The political element brought more confusion to Minnesota's faith communities, grappling with when and how to congregate without spreading the highly infectious coronavirus. Faith communities feel like "footballs" in the debate, said Bishop Bruce Ough of the United Methodist Church for Minnesota and the Dakotas.
"The most difficult part is there isn't a consistent message coming from different levels of authority," said Ough. "It can be difficult to clarify how to move forward."
United Methodists, said Ough, will continue to take a measured approach to reopening, keeping church doors shut until public health experts recommend otherwise.
"We'll make decisions based on our faith tradition and safety, and not get caught up in all the bait and cultural divide," he said.
Walz decided this week to keep attendance at houses of worship capped at 10 people, while allowing restaurants to open for outdoor service. That decision was a surprise and disappointment to a huge block of religious leaders, who had expected the rules affecting them to be relaxed.