KARE 11 TV reporter Lou Raguse is resisting efforts by the Hennepin County Attorney's Office to compel him to testify about his interview with a man charged with murder in a Hwy. 169 road-rage shooting last year.

Jamal Smith is in jail awaiting the start of his trial June 27 in Hennepin County District Court. He's accused of firing from another moving vehicle, fatally shooting 56-year-old Jay Boughton of Crystal in July 2021 after a brief altercation in Plymouth traffic near the Rockford Road exit.
Raguse reported in April that Smith called him from jail and in a recorded video interview said he believed the fatal shot was fired at Boughton by a passenger in the back seat.
"I heard the shot. I didn't know if someone was shooting at us. I didn't know if he shot in the air. Under no circumstances did I believe someone got murdered. None at all," Raguse reported that Smith told him in the video call.
The interview prompted Judge Nicole Engisch to issue a gag order in the case.
Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Dan Allard filed a motion earlier this month asking Engisch to issue a subpoena requiring Raguse to testify. Allard said he wants to call Raguse to "lay foundation" for the introduction of the video interview at trial.
In arguing for Raguse to testify, Allard said Smith provided relevant information to Raguse — that he was in the vehicle at the time of the shooting.
Allard also argued that Raguse's First Amendment rights wouldn't be violated because he would be sharing information from a video interview, not a confidential source. He also argued there was a "compelling and overriding interest" in the reporter's testimony.