Jamar Clark, the unarmed man shot early Sunday by Minneapolis police, sparking two days of angry protest, has died.
Friends of Clark's family said Tuesday morning that he had been removed from life support and that family members were making funeral arrangements.
The Hennepin County medical examiner said Clark, 24, died on Monday evening as the result of a single gunshot to the head.
The two officers involved in the shooting, who haven't been identified, were expected to give statements to the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) Tuesday night, said Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the police union.
Kroll, who said he had talked to the officers, reiterated earlier statements from police that Clark was not in handcuffs, disputing witness accounts.
Kroll also said he "firmly believes" the officers will be exonerated of any wrongdoing.
The U.S. attorney's office said late Tuesday that the FBI would conduct the federal investigation requested by the mayor, with an independent review of all evidence by the office as well as U.S. Department of Justice prosecutors.
At a news conference Tuesday, BCA Superintendent Drew Evans said that there are videos from the shooting but that none shows the full incident that left Clark dead. The videos came from an ambulance, a public housing building, the cellphones of bystanders and a police mobile video station. There is no video from any police car or officer body cameras. The BCA is working with a nearby Elks Lodge to examine its exterior video.