It’s unclear how Minneapolis park workers’ strike will affect the city’s park system when it starts July 4, but for now cancellations and closures aren’t expected.
On Tuesday, the union representing more than 300 workers with the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board announced a weeklong strike beginning Independence Day, the “busiest” time of year, said AJ Lange, the business manager for the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LIUNA) Local 363.
For years, Minneapolis park workers have called for improved wages, health insurance and safety precautions, LIUNA said. The union represents more than 200 permanent and more than 100 seasonal employees.
Although weather may have an impact, the board said the strike will not disrupt the planned “Red, White & Boom” fireworks show scheduled for 10 p.m. Thursday.
The board announced it would decide by 6 p.m. Thursday whether the fireworks show would take place.
Robin Smothers, a spokeswoman for the board, said Tuesday that the board developed a plan to adjust maintenance services to minimize the impact of the strike on park visitors.
She said Wednesday that closures will depend on just how many workers walk off the job over the next week. Many workers had already been approved for vacations over the holiday, so a total accounting won’t be known until Monday.
Until that time, here’s what we know about the potential impact: