Just received word that Royce White has been charged with three counts of misdemeanor trespassing in connection with the theft of a laptop in a university dormitory in November. White's lawyer, F. Clayton Tyler, said he intends to move up White's court date, which is currently scheduled for early February.
White, who returned to practice for the first time in months earlier this week, was suspended indefinitely following a series of legal troubles, including a December guilty plea to theft and disorderly conduct after an October incident at the Mall of America.
But a person familiar with the situation said White "earned" the opportunity to come back to the team earlier this week, after getting one of the highest GPA's on the team.
I don't know much more about White's situation other than the fact that he's been charged with a couple of misdemeanors in the laptop case. Check StarTribune.com for more details throughout the day.
-Here's the university's official statement on the latest development with White:
"University of Minnesota athletics department officials received word Friday afternoon that freshman forward Royce White, who has yet to play for the Gopher men's basketball team, has been charged with three counts of misdemeanor trespassing.
"According to Director of Athletics Joel Maturi the new information does not alter White's status with the program.
"Maturi said that White remains suspended from competition and travel but is allow to practice with the team at the discretion of head coach Tubby Smith. Maturi added that any change to his standing with the program would be made at a later date."