Minnesota Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf have more than enough money to pay for their share of their team's new stadium, even if a New Jersey judge orders them to pay hefty punitive damages in a bitter real estate case, a top stadium official said Friday.
But an extensive, monthlong background check into the Wilfs' legal and financial affairs by the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority identified "one potential future issue," which won't affect the stadium's construction timeline but could keep the Wilfs entangled in court for years to come.
Under New Jersey law, any civil case that results in punitive damages must be referred to the state attorney general and local prosecutor's office to determine whether criminal charges should be pursued.
Michele Kelm-Helgen, chairwoman of the authority, the public board overseeing the nearly $1 billion stadium project, said Friday that "we have no idea what the timing would be if those things would happen."
But, she added, in a worst-case scenario, the NFL has indicated that it will stand behind the project, even if the league required a change in team ownership.
"Right now, we feel real comfortable that we can move forward," Kelm-Helgen said. "Everything" on the background check of the Wilfs "has come back very clean."
Groundbreaking on the $975 million stadium, which is expected to replace the Metrodome in time for the 2016 NFL season, is tentatively scheduled for early November.
The authority, at the urging of Gov. Mark Dayton, the leading supporter of the stadium, ordered the more thorough "due-diligence" review released Friday after a New Jersey judge ruled last month that the Wilfs defrauded business partners in a large real estate transaction there.