Remains of a Twin Cities man who had been missing for nearly a month have been located in the waters of Lake Superior off the northernmost reaches of Minnesota's shoreline, and a man has been charged with helping with the dismemberment.
Dive teams worked Thursday and Friday recovering the remains of Richard A. Balsimo, 34, of St. Paul, in the lake near Grand Portage, the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said Monday.
Balsimo was reported missing by his sister on June 20. As recently as early last week, police had not considered the case a suspicious disappearance. Police said the last anyone heard from Balsimo was about 2 a.m. that day when he sent a text message to the mother of his child.
That changed when the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office in Anoka ruled that Balsimo died of "homicidal violence," the BCA said.
However, the agency reported the cause and manner of his death still are pending.
In the meantime, Robert T. West, 40, of South Range, Wis., was charged Friday in Cook County District Court with being an accomplice after the fact to second-degree murder and interference with a body or the scene of a death. The charges say Balsimo's torso was recovered in a tote container by searchers.
West remains jailed across the border on unrelated illicit drug allegations ahead of his return to Minnesota.
No one else has been arrested or charged in the killing, but the complaint against West reported that he said another man shot Balsimo for reasons not yet disclosed by authorities.