Hamdi Ali Osman spent four years behind bars in Kentucky awaiting trial for a federal sex-trafficking case that imploded last month when a Court of Appeals judge found that the main investigator — a St. Paul police sergeant — possibly fabricated evidence.
Osman's patience, daily prayers and refusal to accept plea deals paid off when the case against her was dismissed in early March following the judge's scathing order.
Freed from jail just under a month ago, Osman filed suit Thursday in federal court against the City of St. Paul, the St. Paul Police Department, Sgt. Heather Weyker and three of Weyker's unnamed supervisors.
Osman is seeking $12 million in damages.
The 26-year-old said the case cost her six years of her life, two of them on electronic home monitoring from 2012 to 2014.
"I'm ready for it," Osman said of her attempt to reclaim her reputation and hold St. Paul police accountable.
"I feel like I deserve it for all the time that I've lost, for everything that I've been through," Osman said. "I never imagined that someone could lie about you like that and then your freedom being taken away from something like that."
The Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a decision on March 2 clearing the names of three Minnesota men who were convicted in 2012 for their alleged role in the case charged in 2010. The judge wrote that Weyker, the lead investigator, lied to a grand jury, that her handwritten notes didn't match her final reports, that she "likely" exaggerated or fabricated aspects of the case and that the whole thing "may be fictitious."