MNsure faces extra pressure to deliver during its third open enrollment season, since premium spikes likely will prompt more Minnesotans to seek financial relief from the health exchange's tax credits.
Open enrollment starts Sunday for more than 300,000 Minnesotans who buy individual health insurance policies, either through MNsure or the state's larger "off-exchange" market.
Technical glitches hobbled MNsure in year one, and while the system improved last year, enrollment continued to lag behind expectations.
Premiums that are set to jump an average of 41 percent next year and increased financial penalties under the federal health law for those who lack coverage are expected to drive more people to MNsure, which needs more enrollment to secure its financial future, said Roger Feldman, a health policy researcher at the University of Minnesota.
"This is a make-or-break year for MNsure," Feldman said.
Allison O'Toole, the interim chief executive at MNsure, said she disagreed with the characterization, but seconded the view that MNsure is bound to see more traffic as people seek ways to offset premium jumps.
Amid growing concern that too many are buying low-premium policies without understanding the financial risk from deductibles and coinsurance rules, MNsure plans to launch in November an online tool that better highlights the trade-offs.
"There is an added incentive to come back and shop and compare through MNsure, based on these increased prices," O'Toole said. She added: "We have a great opportunity … to help Minnesotans get a truer picture of their costs."