A young woman living at the homeless encampment in south Minneapolis died Saturday from complications resulting from an asthma attack, raising fresh alarms over the health and safety of approximately 300 people living at the large and growing site.
Alissa Rose Skipintheday, 26, was found barely conscious and not breathing last week near the entrance to the camp at East Franklin Ave. and 16th Ave. S., relatives said. She was rushed to Hennepin County Medical Center, where she died on Saturday.
Family members and residents of the camp said Skipintheday suffered from chronic asthma and did not have her emergency inhaler at the time of the asthma attack. She was homeless and had been living at the encampment for several weeks, they said. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office said Tuesday that her death remains under investigation.
"This is a tragic event that is painful for that entire community," said Dr. Antony Stately, chief executive of the Native American Community Clinic (NACC) on East Franklin Avenue. "It really highlights the critical nature of conditions at the camp and the urgent need for on-site medical care."
The growing tent city has alarmed local health officials and American Indian leaders, who have been scrambling to find emergency shelter and medical care for the growing number of people arriving at the site, located on a narrow strip of land along Hiawatha and East Franklin Avenues near the Little Earth housing project.
Despite an intensive outreach effort by a coalition of city, county and American Indian agencies, some residents with chronic illnesses and serious infections are still going without basic medical care. Efforts to bring in a mobile health unit have been held up by regulatory restrictions and liability concerns, say local officials and outreach workers.
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey had pledged to find housing for everyone by the end of September, though that deadline is now seen by many Indian agencies as unrealistic given the swelling numbers of people arriving at the site.
The encampment — which tent dwellers have called "the Wall of the Forgotten Natives" because it borders a highway sound wall and primarily consists of American Indians — has roughly quadrupled in size over the past month. Residents say they are seeking safety in numbers, as opposed to sleeping alone in various spots across the city, as well as access to food, clothing and social services. The camp now has 142 tents, according to a count Tuesday by the Minneapolis Police Department.