Stillwater Motors was down to the last few Buicks on the lot.
But the third-generation General Motors dealership is looking to the future and ready to order -- and hire -- again after GM included it among the 661 dealerships nationwide that it has saved from the chopping block.
The dealership, which has been selling Buicks since 1922, was among the more than 2,000 across the country that GM had said would close as part of its government-backed bankruptcy restructuring to pare down stores and return to profitability.
"It's good news and a victory and we are excited," said general manager Michael Kahn. "It's good for the community, and a lot of customers were happy. Now I can see the glimmer in the employees' eyes. Everybody is excited."
In Minnesota, 20 of the 30 dealerships that were fighting GM via arbitration to stay in business have been reinstated, according to figures released Tuesday. Four others were previously saved from the chopping block.
The Minnesota Auto Dealers Association had estimated that 3,200 jobs in the state were in jeopardy as General Motors and Chrysler, also paring its network, shuttered dealerships. The state's new car dealerships accounted for $10 billion in revenue and nearly 19,000 jobs in 2008, the most recent year for which figures were available, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.
Scott Lambert, executive vice president of the dealer group, now estimates 500 jobs in the state will be saved.
Though neither he nor GM is releasing names of the spared dealerships, Lambert notes they appear to be disproportionately in rural communities. "It's huge" for those towns, said Lambert. "These are jobs with health care benefits and good wages. They're the kinds of jobs you can raise a family on."