Earl “Sonny” Meyer, a 97-year-old retired farmer and Korean War veteran, was alone at his St. Peter home Monday evening when his phone rang.
“Corporal Meyer,” a voice on the other end of the line said. “I’m pleased to tell you the president of the United States is awarding you the Purple Heart.”
Meyer was in shock. Now? Seventy-three years after shrapnel struck his thigh during the Korean War, an injury that left a scar and a lifetime of pain?
His attorney, Alan Anderson of Minneapolis, held back tears. He had been fighting the Army Board for Correction of Military Records ever since reading a 2020 article in the Star Tribune about Meyer’s daughters’ crusade for their father to be honored for his 1951 war injury.
“Earl, you won,” Anderson said. “You’re getting the medal.”
“I never thought I would see this,” Meyer told him.
During the Korean War, Meyer served in the infantry. He still thinks of that time daily: sleepless nights in mountain foxholes, chaotic days as a rifleman and machine-gunner, Army buddies dying next to him.
The shrapnel that’s still lodged in Meyer’s left thigh stems from a June 1951 battle where his platoon was trapped by enemy forces. Mortars rained down, and a piece of shrapnel struck him. A medic bandaged him in the field, telling Meyer he’d put his name in for a Purple Heart, Meyer said. Later, while on a hospital ship, Meyer learned only four guys from his company — 7th Division, 31st Regiment, 2nd Platoon, K Company — survived.