A Minnesota legislative panel prepared Monday to ban historical horse racing (HHR), a swift rebuke to the Minnesota Racing Commission’s vote just one week ago to legalize the casino-style games.
“I think the Racing Commission took an unlawful action last week, and this bill reverses that,” said Rep. Zack Stephenson, DFL-Coon Rapids, as he introduced his bill to the House Commerce Committee on Monday.
In response, racing industry supporters brought to the Capitol steps Numbered Account, a friendly 8-year-old harness racing horse who has earned $250,000 in his career around the country, including at Running Aces. That horse racing track in Columbus, along with Canterbury Park in Shakopee, is one of two in the state.
The tone was not as calm as the horse. Tension is rising as the Legislature passes the session’s midpoint and decisions must be made about whether and how to legalize mobile sports betting. DFL leaders have bills that would give the state’s tribal nations exclusive rights to partner with a gambling platform and allow Minnesotans to bet on their phones 24/7.
The state’s tracks say the expansion of gambling would cost them revenue and potentially put them out of business. Republican supporters have said they will only support a bill that helps the tracks. The Racing Commission’s vote last week to legalize HHR shook up the discussion.
Thoroughbred horse owner and Minnesota Horsemen’s Benevolent & Protective Association President Justin Revak urged discussion. “Legislators could bring all parties together and an agreement that works for all could be negotiated,” he said.
The tracks say HHR would eventually bring in millions that would keep them healthy and aid their live-racing purses. No one at the Capitol was seriously pursuing legalized HHR until the commission vote.
To help the tracks, the main sports betting bills would give the tracks direct subsidies. The House bill would provide $625,000 and the Senate bill $3 million for the tracks to share annually.