As Split Rock Lighthouse's first head keeper from 1910 to 1928, Orren "Pete" Young cautioned countless sailors from his cliff-top perch overlooking Lake Superior, 50 miles up the shore from Duluth.
But one of his warnings went unheeded, leaving two assistant lighthouse keepers dead in the very first year that the federal government beacon began to shine.
Young was 52 in 1910, an experienced keeper with lake smarts who "could sail anything that would float," his son Clarence later recalled. Some 130 feet down the cliff face from the lighthouse, the Split Rock keepers had a wooden rowboat they called "Clinker" — a 16-footer pointed at the bow and stern with two sets of oars.
Young rigged a sail for the little boat, which he navigated with one hand on the rudder and the other grasping the end of the sail's line. If Lake Superior unleashed one of its wind gusts, he would simply drop the line to avoid tipping the boat.
His two assistant keepers, Ed Sexton and Roy Gill, used Clinker to fetch the mail from Split Rock Lumber Co. a couple of miles down the shore. One day, Young caught one of them using the boat with the sail line tied to the seat.
"Never, never tie the sail down, as a quick puff of wind would tip the boat over," he scolded, according to his son.
On Sunday, Oct. 2, 1910, Young asked Sexton and Gill to pick up the mail. They left at 12:30 p.m. "and did not return," according to the Split Rock logbook.
Young worried as darkness fell, but he had to keep the light burning all night — filling the kerosene and keeping the weights wound to rotate the lens. The crew typically divided the night into three watches, but Young worked alone until sunrise.