Gov. Mark Dayton on Friday lashed out at House Republicans and retreated from a controversial component of his new water buffer law, saying he caved to GOP threats to withhold funding for other water-quality improvements he wants.
"In the face of those threats, and the likelihood they'd be carried out … I decided to strategically drop [mapping of private ditches] from the existing practice of the DNR," Dayton said Friday. He added: "We'll have other opportunities to remedy it" in the future.
At issue is a requirement under last year's water-quality law that instructed the Department of Natural Resources to map private ditches, which would be required to have 16.5-foot wide strips of natural vegetation, beginning in November 2018.
Other bodies of water would be required to have wider buffers, which are intended to reduce water runoff and soil erosion and to improve water quality. A state report last year found that half of Minnesota lakes and rivers in southern Minnesota are too polluted much of the time to allow swimming or fishing.
The issue has pitted Dayton against some farmers, who don't want to lose additional land that could be used to plant crops.
Legislative leaders say that ditches on private land were never part of the original compromise negotiated among legislators, Dayton's office and farm groups.
House Speaker Kurt Daudt, R-Crown, denied threats were made, saying: "We don't operate that way."
Daudt and other Republican leaders had in recent days met with Dayton, after raising the issue with the state's environmental agency in November. Dayton in a news conference said Republicans had threatened to spurn his bonding proposals for the DNR and the Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources.