Gov. Mark Dayton said Monday that he's decided against giving Minnesotans who buy insurance on their own the option to keep their existing health plans another year.
Dayton said a letter from the state's largest insurance companies convinced him that allowing some people that flexibility, as proposed by President Obama last week, would create too much confusion in the marketplace and could lead to premium increases.
"Your letter makes clear that making the program changes offered by the president last week would be unworkable for your members and would likely cause more expensive health coverage for Minnesotans," the governor said in response to the letter.
Under fire over the rollout of the federal health law, Obama gave states the discretion to decide whether to allow some individuals to be grandfathered in on their current policies for a year even if the plans don't comply with the law.
Though Dayton initially applauded Obama's plan, he weighed the insurers' arguments and said he would ask Commerce Commissioner Mike Rothman to continue implementing the Affordable Care Act and the state's health insurance exchange, MNsure, as it is presently designed.
The Minnesota Council of Health Plans, an industry group that represents Minnesota's largest insurance companies, outlined "serious concerns" about the president's plan in a five-page letter to Rothman delivered Monday.
The group represents seven insurers across the state, including Twin Cities-based Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, HealthPartners, Medica, PreferredOne and UCare.
"The President's announcement comes too late to allow health plans and our regulator to complete filings, rate approvals and communications regarding re-enrollments in time to prevent major market disruptions for Minnesotans in the individual marketplace," Executive Director Julie Brunner wrote.