Morrie Lanning couldn't wait for the legislative session to end.
It was May 2012 and after months of contentious debate over financing a new Vikings stadium, the politicians and team struck a deal that seemed, after years of lobbying, to finally put the issue to rest.
"In the final stages, I said many times 'I want to see us decide this and get it over with and get it off the front page,' " said Lanning, the House author of the stadium bill who retired from the Legislature that spring. "I thought it was done."
Not even close.
Sixteen months after the Vikings and state political leaders signed off on a $975 million partnership to build a new downtown Minneapolis stadium, and just days before development agreements on the project are expected to be finalized, the noise and controversy surrounding the high-profile deal linger.
A plan to fund part of construction with revenues from untested electronic gambling games was officially declared a bust last week. Potentially hefty fees for stadium seat licenses have again angered the governor and threaten to alienate loyal season-ticket holders.
When a New Jersey judge Monday ordered team owners Zygi, Mark and Leonard Wilf to pay $84.5 million in damages to former business partners who sued them for fraud over a 1980s real estate deal, some critics pounced again, raising more questions about the state's due diligence of the owners and their legal troubles at the time the stadium deal was cut last year.
As the Vikings and Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, the public board overseeing construction, continue to negotiate final lease and development agreements, stadium critics to Gov. Mark Dayton, the project's lead cheerleader, have weighed in, hoping to reshape pieces of the deal in the final hours before the shovels hit the dirt and construction begins. On Thursday, Friday's authority meeting to approve both was postponed at the last minute and rescheduled for next week.