Federal law enforcement agents are investigating an e-mail fraud scheme that bilked the city of Cottage Grove out of more than $1.2 million last year, according to court documents made public this week.
According to five seizure warrant applications signed off on by a federal magistrate judge this month, the fraud involved someone posing as a legitimate company that the city contracted for a sewer project. The fake account convinced the city's accounting specialist to wire money to them and not the real contracted company before the scam was discovered late last year. By the time the fraud was uncovered, the money had been spread to multiple other bank accounts.
In a signed application and affidavit for five seizure warrants this month, a Homeland Security Investigations special agent described how an unknown person posed as the president of a company hired to perform a $3.5 million sewage construction project and convinced the city to send more than a third of those dollars to a fraudulent account.
In response to a request for comment from the city, Cottage Grove Police Chief Peter Koerner said he could not comment as the "case is still considered an active investigation."
A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office meanwhile said Thursday that "the government will be seeking forfeiture of the funds."
U.S. Magistrate Judge John Docherty approved five seizure warrants this month involving $852,337.55 allegedly tied to the fraud.
The affidavits described the case as an investigation into a "business e-mail compromise and electronic funds transfer wire fraud scheme" that victimized the city.
Cottage Grove had entered into a $3.5 million contract in June 2021 for a sewage construction project with Watkins, Minn.-based Geislinger & Sons. The agent wrote that the fraud started in October when someone contacted the city's accounting specialist using an e-mail account posing as the company's president.