WASHINGTON – In a rare rebuke, Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken plan to override President Obama's veto of a measure that would allow victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to sue the government of Saudi Arabia for any role in the plot.
The Wednesday vote is setting up an extraordinary confrontation between Democrats and a president in the final months of his term, a leader to whom Minnesota's two senators have displayed nearly lockstep allegiance. The major disagreement on foreign policy between Obama and congressional Democrats has led to what could be the first congressional override of a veto during Obama's presidency.
Franken and Klobuchar were both original sponsors of the measures, called the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, that will allow families of the Sept. 11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia directly for any role in the attack.
The measure united Congress at a time of almost paralyzing partisan gridlock, sailing through both chambers earlier in September at the urging of grieving families who say they are seeking justice 15 years after the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history.
Not only did Congress pass the measure easily, members vowed to uphold it against a veto.
"I think it's a very good way to find out more about exactly what happened and what role the Saudis played in this if they had to go to court," said Franken, who was also outspoken last week against an arms sale to Saudi Arabia.
In his three-page veto message sent to members of Congress, Obama said the law would hurt U.S. national security interests and upset long-standing international principles of sovereign immunity. Obama said enactment of the law could encourage other countries to exercise the same rules and give foreign courts jurisdiction over the United States and members of its military.
Obama's arguments
Obama cautioned that the proposed law "does not enhance the safety of Americans from terrorist attacks and undermines core U.S. interests."