The state's public K-12 schools will stay closed for the rest of the academic year under an order from Gov. Tim Walz, an unprecedented step many states across the nation are taking to limit the spread of the coronavirus.
The order, issued Thursday, assures that students and teachers will finish out the school year through distance-learning plans that have been underway for weeks, and it gives some finality for high school seniors across the state who wondered if they'd get to walk in their graduation ceremonies.
The significance of those milestones was not lost on Walz, a former geography teacher, who told students and educators: "I know what you're losing."
"There's no joy in this," he said. "The class of 2020, you will not be defined by staying home and missing proms and missing graduations, you will be defined by understanding how interconnected our world is and what it means to come together and solve hard problems."
The state's schools have been closed to nearly 900,000 K-12 public and charter school students since March 18, an order the governor previously extended until at least May 4. His decision ends weeks of speculation about whether students would be heading back to their classrooms at any point this spring.
Some states, including Washington and Maryland, are already considering closures into the summer and fall, but Walz said he hasn't made a decision yet about what's next.
"There are game changers that go both ways on this," he said.
Epidemiological evidence shows that, while children can contract COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, they typically experience mild symptoms. But children can spread the virus to their parents or teachers, which triggered school closures starting in March. Health officials have warned of a potential second wave of COVID-19 cases this winter that could be worse because it coincides with flu season.