Gun violence was down over the past month in Minneapolis compared with the same period last year, city officials said Thursday.
Data released from the second 28-day cycle of Operation Endeavor, the multijurisdictional campaign to reduce violent crime in Minneapolis, showed improvements from this time in 2021 in terms of gun crimes and robberies, including carjackings.
From Oct. 25 to Nov. 21, gun-related calls for service fell 44% compared with the same period last year, according to the data. In addition, there was an 18% reduction in people shot and a 67% drop in carjackings.
ShotSpotter activations dropped 47% when compared with the same period in 2021, according to the report.
"Are we there yet? The answer is absolutely not. But we are trending in the right direction," Mayor Jacob Frey said.
"We have a whole lot of people throughout our city to thankful for because it is our police officers working directly with our community members to suss out some of this violence before it takes place."
Operation Endeavor concentrates police resources in areas of the city using data analysis on citywide calls for service.
Also during the 28-day period, the Minneapolis Police Department, Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and other law enforcement agencies recovered 76 guns, $22,500 in cash and 10,331 fentanyl pills, according to the city's report.