The timeline for building a new downtown Minneapolis stadium for the Minnesota Vikings has always been tight.
Last week, it got a whole lot tighter.
When the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, the public body overseeing construction of the nearly $1 billion venue, ordered a deeper background check into team owner Zygi Wilf and his family, it pushed back important decisions on lease and development agreements that could affect plans to break ground on the project later this fall.
The additional scrutiny is in response to a New Jersey judge's ruling this month that Zygi Wilf and his brother Mark were guilty of fraud, breach of contract and violations of the state's civil racketeering statute in connection with a real estate partnership. In announcing the decision, Superior Court Judge Deanne Wilson delivered sharp words for Zygi Wilf, saying his testimony exhibited "bad faith and evil motive." That criticism prompted Gov. Mark Dayton, the lead stadium promoter, to urge the authority to conduct a more thorough review of the Wilfs and the team's commitments to the $975 million stadium project to ensure that they are "truthful and accurate."
"We're still on track and still on schedule," said Michele Kelm-Helgen, the authority chairwoman. "But this certainly has complicated things."
Stadium builders have long said that a fall 2013 construction start is a must if the building is to open in time for the 2016 NFL season. Tentative plans call for a late October or early November groundbreaking.
Any delay that results in a postponed opening could cost "millions" to both sides, said Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs.
John Wood, senior vice president of Mortenson Construction, the stadium builder, said Friday that his team is "moving forward with the expectation that the additional due diligence work will be completed to the authority's satisfaction.