A recent court decision affirming Winona County's year-old ban on frac sand mining, the first of its kind in the state, has stirred interest in neighboring counties, where efforts to enact similar bans have so far foundered.
Winona County District Judge Mary Leahy ruled Nov. 17 that the county was within its authority when it created the ban, dismissing claims from the mining company, Minnesota Sands, that the ban violated its constitutional rights. The company had argued the ban was unconstitutional because it targeted industrial silica sand mining while allowing mining of sand for other purposes.
A spokesman for Minnesota Sands called the ruling disappointing. "We … are reviewing and evaluating our next steps," spokesman Mike Zipko said in a prepared statement. "We continue to believe the ban unfairly takes away the legal rights of landowners and their tenants."
The company and several private property owners who were co-plaintiffs in the suit have 60 days from the date of the ruling to appeal.
One of the plaintiffs' attorneys, Gary Van Cleve of Minneapolis, said his clients are considering an appeal.
The ruling drew several frac-sand mining opponents to the Houston County Board meeting last week, said Commissioner Teresa Walter.
"We do expect conversation," said Walter. The county already has a strong ordinance regulating frac sand mining, Walter said, but at a citizen's request, the County Board will now review the Winona decision and perhaps direct the county attorney to meet with Winona officials to learn more, Walter said.
Commissioner Justin Zmyewski said he expects the Winona ruling to set off discussions in Houston County and elsewhere about implementing a ban.