The Minneapolis City Council might reconsider its controversial rideshare policy that has prompted Uber and Lyft’s announced plans to pull out of the city.
Council Member Andrea Jenkins has introduced a proposal that she says could buy time for the council, and potentially state lawmakers, to figure out a way to keep the ride-hailing giants from leaving when the ordinance takes effect May 1.
The council’s new city ordinance sets minimum pay standards for drivers, which Uber and Lyft have said are too high to make it worthwhile to do business here.
Jenkins’ proposal to avert the companies’ departure is a procedural maneuver added to Thursday’s City Council meeting agenda, which now includes a “notice of intent to move reconsideration” of the ordinance codified after last week’s vote to override Mayor Jacob Frey’s veto of the new rideshare rules.
Jenkins, and perhaps others, will discuss the idea at Thursday’s meeting. An actual vote wouldn’t happen until the council’s meeting on April 11.
Jenkins originally expressed reservations about overriding Frey’s veto but ultimately supported the ordinance and the veto override.
In an interview Wednesday afternoon, Jenkins said she’s received voluminous complaints about the outcome — but doesn’t regret her votes. “It really brings about the urgency,” she said of the pushback that’s followed the council’s actions.
Of her procedural maneuver, she said: “I just hope it gives us an opportunity to work over these next 40 days or so to come to a place where drivers are fairly compensated and all the other entities are able to get on board.”