Within a two-week span, three Minneapolis civil rights investigators have resigned and another has been fired amid accusations of a hostile work environment since director Michael Jordan took over the department last June.
The exodus has intensified the criticism of Jordan, who was already under fire for his handling of the discrimination complaints of several black police officers who went on to sue the city.
Council Member Ralph Remington, whose office has been deluged with calls about the department said, "If what I'm hearing is true, I find this unconscionable."
Jordan acknowledged the complaints in an interview Tuesday but defended his leadership.
In nominating Jordan last year, Mayor R.T. Rybak said he would bring "a high level of both professionalism and passion" to the once-beleaguered department.
On Tuesday, Rybak said he fully supports Jordan.
"We hired a tough manager who will be held accountable for results when he comes up for review in several months," he said, and urged critics not to rush to judgment. "Time will reveal."
But former and current workers say privately that productivity has already declined at the hands of Jordan and Ron Brandon, a top supervisor and the subject of a year-long human resources investigation alleging gender discrimination in the department.