Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey is reconsidering the future of the city's top civil rights official in the wake of intensifying criticism of her department's hate crime hot line.
The mayor had planned to reappoint Velma Korbel this week, but delayed the decision after a Feb. 11 report in the Star Tribune about problems with the Department of Civil Rights hot line for people to report hate crimes. The employee hired to run the hot line, Kristin Johnson, said she was fired after raising concerns that it was poorly planned, possibly violated privacy rights and had no system for dealing with complaints from outside the city.
Frey and other elected officials have expressed concerns about Korbel and the hot line.
"She didn't actually do a gosh darn thing," said City Council Member Linea Palmisano. "And I think that does the most disservice. People who are the victim of this kind of language, these kinds of crimes, it's hard for them to know where to turn. And if you give them a fake place to turn, it's worse than doing nothing at all. That's what gives me the shivers about this whole thing."
In a statement, Frey, a former civil rights attorney, emphasized protecting free speech and ensuring the safety of Minneapolis residents.
"Recent reporting has highlighted issues with the Civil Rights Department's hate crime hot line, which was launched last year as a way to track any increases in hate crimes and discrimination concerns," he said. "In the weeks to come, I'll be working with staff from across the City — including our 311 and Civil Rights Departments — to determine the future of the hot line. The focus of those conversations will be ensuring that people know the right point of contact for reporting such crimes and that we have the right resources in place for effectively investigating and responding to those reports."
In an interview Tuesday, Korbel denied the hot line was "fake" and defended it as a "legitimate way to lodge any sort of complaint with the city."
Korbel downplayed the depiction of the hot line as a new endeavor, saying she used "air quotes" when using the term hot line. Though the city marketed its launch with a news release, a poster and a web post, Korbel said the hot line was never intended to be anything more than an expansion of existing city services. Korbel also denied that the intent of the hot line was to police speech.