A weeklong collaboration between the Minneapolis Police Department and other law enforcement agencies to target hot spots of violent crime in the city has netted 44 arrests in its first two days.
So far, Operation Safe Summer has also led to the seizure of 14 firearms and 61 grams of fentanyl. The past two summer operations each generated around a hundred arrests and the seizure of 38 firearms.
“At least in Minneapolis, we’ve turned a corner,” Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said at the operation’s Wednesday roll-call meeting. “It’s very, very clear that the residents in this city want police protection, they want good policing.”
This year’s effort comes after a violent weekend in Minneapolis, with multiple shootings and a stabbing that led to three homicide investigations. In previous years, the operation has convened earlier in the summer, but was delayed after the slaying of officer Jamal Mitchell in June.
The number of gunshot-wound victims in Minneapolis is up 5% this year, at 215 compared to 204 incidents by end of July 2023. The department’s Fourth Precinct has seen the most gun violence, with 79 shootings, down from 96 in 2023 and 126 in 2022. The Second and Third precincts have seen higher numbers of shootings, from five to 14 and 43 to 57, respectively. Overall, rates still remain higher than they were before the pandemic.
Minneapolis police have recovered 537 guns, down 23% from 697 guns recovered at this point in 2023.
“The most important issues tackled in Minneapolis and every city around the country is gun violence,” Mayor Jacob Frey said. “It’s making sure that people feel safe in community.”
Frey said he attended the roll call to show support for local law enforcement, particularly after the Minneapolis City Council passed a new police contract which increased salaries by 22% for veteran officers and created a starting salary of $90,000 for new officers.