Fallout continues to jolt Catholic institutions across Minnesota as a landmark law permitting lawsuits for older claims of clergy sex abuse marks its second anniversary this week.
Just last week the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis removed a priest from active ministry in Richfield — bringing to 69 the number of accused priests it has identified since the law was passed.
Earlier this month a young Hibbing priest was arrested and jailed for sexual misconduct with three girls, reflecting Catholics' heightened awareness of contacting law enforcement, not just the church.
A Catholic nun and her religious order were sued last month by a Shakopee man for sexual improprieties, a sign of the law's widening impact.
The current trial of former priest Francis Hoefgen in Dakota County — a rare criminal prosecution of a priest for child sex abuse — was sparked by an alleged victim emboldened by the new law.
"This is the biggest shake-up in the history of the Catholic Church in Minnesota," said Charles Reid, a professor of civil and canon law at the University of St. Thomas. "The church has always been a powerful institution in the state — just look the height of the cathedral compared to the State Capitol. What we're seeing is a humbling of that."
In a statement Friday Archbishop John Nienstedt said the archdiocese is committed to helping abuse victims.
"Our first priority is helping victims and survivors, and we are committed to doing that regardless of any statute of limitations," he said. "The Archdiocese is committed to providing compensation and services in a fair and just manner to those who have been harmed, and making sure nothing like this ever happens again."