Minnesota exhausted its share of funds from a temporary federal program providing a $300 weekly bonus to unemployment payments, officials said Thursday.
That will affect most of the 320,000 Minnesotans who continue to collect jobless benefits six months into the pandemic.
At the same time, new data released Thursday show Minnesota's job recovery sped up a bit last month with the addition of 40,500 jobs. That was better than July but not as good as June.
The state's unemployment rate fell slightly to 7.4% in August, down from 7.6% in July. It has continued to come down since reaching a historic high of 9.9% in May, but remains more than double than what it was before the pandemic.
By comparison, the U.S. unemployment rate fell to 8.4% last month from 10.2% in July.
Steve Grove, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), said federal officials have told the agency that there is only enough money in a disaster relief fund to cover six weeks of $300-a-week payouts to states. And DEED has now paid out all six weeks to out-of-work Minnesotans. He added the state applied for a seventh week just in case more funds surface.
"We believe it's done," Grove said. "We will of course monitor for more, but for now it looks like we've capped at that six-week mark."
The additional unemployment boost was a partial replacement for the $600 a week unemployed workers received through July as part of the federal CARES Act. Congress and the White House have not been able to agree on a new coronavirus relief package since then.